You’ve chosen your real estate agent, set the asking price, and planned your launch date. Your home is looking wonderful, all that remains is some final touches. What accessories represent the best investment when you’re trying to give your house that little extra presentation polish? Here are 5 suggestions.
1. Cushions – a really easy way to instantly update a room, that fading sofa and add colour, texture and interest at the same time.
2. Rugs – a large, deep rug can transform a room, adding warmth and style. Rugs also provide sound cushioning in rooms that are loud and have an echo. You don’t have to spend a fortune on them, decide on a budget and work within it.
3. Fruit and Flowers – try big glass bowls or wide vases of fruit in the kitchen to add colour. Choose one type of fruit, oranges, green apples or lemons look wonderful, for instant contemporary style. Make sure flower arrangements are in keeping with the style of the house and also the room, be careful of flowers with a strong smell, you don’t want to turn off potential buyers. Long elegant tulips or Cala lilies are great on a large dining table, and little vases of small flowers are perfect for a bathroom. Choose carefully for maximum effect.
4. New Bedding – especially for the master bedroom, where it matters most to your buyers. Choose a subtle style that isn’t too bright or flowery, and add some pillows and a nice quality throw to the end of the bed. For the other bedrooms, adding new plain bedding with some tasteful pillows and throws can update them inexpensively.
5. Towels – used towels never quite look the same as brand new ones; purchase some luxurious new towels, and make sure that no one uses them – they’re just for show! Put them away and hide them after each showing so they stay looking their best.